- A portion of the hoof between the heel and the toe.
- QUARTER CLIPS
- A lip drawn out of the side near the heel of a shoe. Used to prevent the heels from spreading.
- QUARTER CRACK
- (1) Any sandcrack in the quarters of the hoof wall. May be superficial or penetrating; basal or coronary. (2) This term has been used to specifically denote a coronary sandcrack in the quarter.
- [from the Anglo-Saxon cwic, thumb alive or living]:(1) Any of the sensitive structures within the hoof capsule. (2) To cut, price or drive a nail, into the quick. a.k.a: Prick; Hot nail.
- [from the Old French quitture, discharge]: Necrosis of the lateral cartilages due to infection. Characterized by severe lameness and ****** discharge.